Call us toll free 1.800.296.4950

Llámenos Gratis 1.800.296.4950

Click to call 1.800.296.4950

How to obtain a credit report

There are several ways.

If you have been recently declined for credit, the rejection letter you were sent will give you an address of the credit bureau from which they obtained credit information on you to base their decision. This rejection letter they have sent you gives you the right to obtain a free credit report if you request it.

The credit bureaus have established a way in which most people in the United States can obtain an annual credit report for free. They are expecting this service to be available to most the entire country within a few months. Please visit our outside resourcespage for more information.

The third way is to contact the credit bureaus and either request one by paying their fee. The information for all three credit bureaus can be found at the outside resources link.

There are many services that provide a credit report, and then a monitoring of your credit report for a monthly fee. On our outside resources links you can find their information. These programs are good because some of them report any activity on your credit report, even within days, so you can deal with any potential problems as soon as possible.

The fair credit reporting act is very clear:

  • You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report if you’ve been denied credit, insurance or employment and request the report within 60 days of notice, or if you can prove that (1) you’re unemployed and plan to look for a job within 60 days, (2) you’re on welfare, or (3) your report is inaccurate because of fraud.
  • If your application for credit, insurance, or employment is denied because of inaccurate or incomplete credit information, the company to which you applied must give you the name and address of the reporting credit bureau.
  • There is no charge to dispute mistakes or outdated information on your credit record. Ask the credit bureau for a dispute form and submit it with any supporting documentation.

If you would like one of our certified credit counselor review your credit report for you free of charge please request a free analysis.