Today, purchasing has turned easier than some years ago. Many ads are all over media, so you can be informed about different products available in the marketplace. Additionally, due to the increase of technology you can also buy online, there is actually a wide set of stores available in the Internet, where you can buy almost anything, including cars or real state.
“Whether you purchase at a local shop or online, it is very important that you may know every single aspect regarding the warranty protection of your items”
Whether you purchase at a local shop or online, it is very important that you know every single aspect regarding the warranty protection of your items. At Premier Consumer, we are delighted to provide five easy recommendations about purchase warranties. Keep reading to learn the importance of paying attention to warranties before purchasing anything you want.
1. Read the warranty in your contract. Before you purchase goods, you should read and see to what extend a warranty covers damages on a product, how long it lasts, what parts and repairs are going to be covered, and what conditions and limitations it implies, etc.
By reading that, you will be well informed before investing your money. If necessary, you will know how to collect on a specific warranty in the future.
In case you are online, do a check for links that show you some warranty and print it out to keep it with your records. If you cannot find it on the company’s website, you can e-mail them and request for one, preferably before purchasing.
Furthermore, you should file both the warranty and receipt. Receipts prove that you owned a product. Therefore, you have the right to collect on that product’s warranty. Also, be aware that both documents have the necessary data from the person responsible of selling the item.
If you are not comfortable after reading a warranty and doubt about a company’s reputation, you can even call your state consumer protection office and request information, to see if there is any complaint against that company. This is highly advisable as well!
2. Be aware of written warranties. Generally, warranties give us an idea that a product would meet certain features. As part of a contract, merchants are obliged to offer maintenance or repairing services from the time you buy until the warranty time expires.
Although written warranties are not required by law, these types of warranties usually come with most products available in the marketplace. Whether buying personally at the store or through a catalog on the Internet, customers have to get access to read warranties previously to purchase.
In any case, Federal law requires that merchants make warranties available for customers before acquiring goods. Therefore, ask for the warranty and see if it does fit your needs and interests.
3. Do not miss instructions. Although a manual is not a warranty, following instructions correctly will prevent you from problems.
For example, a blender is expected to blend and a washing machine to wash. Neither manufacturers nor sellers of these products are going to provide a remedy for damages caused by using an appliance contrary to the purposes and instructions indicated in its manual.
Furthermore, exaggerated claims from the seller do not constitute a warranty. Although a salesperson ponders on the quality and functions of an item, bear in mind that law only requires a product to be in a proper condition to be sold. On the contrary, exaggerations do not warrant anything!
So remember not to try to collect on a warranty if damages have been caused due to unsuitable use, or when you repaired any fail by your own. Do not believe on puffing when purchasing either.
4. Keep in mind the warranty type. Even though this article does not focus on warranty types, it is important that you also know that warranties may vary depending on a contract, type of merchandise, etc. For example, warranties cover damages concerning the product itself, but do not cover additional damages caused by the product.
Moreover, despite a manufacturer is legally obliged to provide a remedy, a warranty may not cover expenses regarding transportation of an item, additional costs for reparations, or replacing certain components.
Also, if you buy two or more different items to a merchant, each one must count on a separated warranty. So, do not miss these aspects either.
For these reasons, always make sure your warranty fulfills your needs as well as the conditions you are ready to accept.
5. Beware of a final important remark. There is the possibility that you recently purchased goods but did not examined warranties carefully and now you are in trouble. Unfortunately, it tends to happen from time to time and customers do not know how to approach this situation.
Nevertheless, it is advisable that you contact your provider and try to obtain the recoveries described in your product’s warranty.
Finally, if you cannot resolve a dispute, or if the company involved has recently got out of business, the good news is that you can request help from your local consumer protection office. They will lead you on how to proceed.
These five recommendations are useful to remember why it is very important to check out for warranties when purchasing. We hope you may consider them the next time you want to purchase anything.